I have a confession. As much as I am all for the whole healthy lifestyle and eating, I absolutely hate chicken breast. I love chicken thighs, wings, drumsticks, etc etc. But, I have always loathed eating chicken breasts. They’ve always just tasted so dry and bland. I know, I know… it just means that I overcook it, but no matter what I do, I just cannot get myself to eat it. HOWEVER.. after finding this recipe on PaleOMG, I decided to give it one more chance.. and to my surprise, it was extremely delicious! Of course the bacon had a lot to do with it, but in my opinion, 1 slice of bacon really can’t do much harm. The chicken itself was a bit dry (I just can never cook it right), but the filling was so moist that it goes unnoticeable for the most part. :) This was extremely easy and quick to whip up as well!
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 slice of bacon (or more hehe)
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup of spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice open the chicken breast (see picture above) and try to flatten it. If you have trouble with that, you can place a plastic wrap on top of the chicken and pound it flat
- Turn fire to medium-high and throw the slice(s) of bacon into the pan until crispy. Place it on a piece of paper to soak out the excess fat, and dice it when it cools
- Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, throw in the garlic and mushrooms. Salt and pepper, to taste
- Once the mushrooms soften, add the spinach and a bit more salt and pepper
- Add the bacon back in the mixture
- Place the stir-fry in the middle of the opened chicken, and fold the chicken over. If there is too much filling, you can use toothpicks to keep it closed while cooking
- Place the chicken breast in the oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness)
- (Optional) I sprinkled some salt and pepper on the top of my chicken right before eating it, and it made it even more delicious!